Monday, October 22, 2007

San Diego is on fire!

I am writing about this because I am worried to death about my parents, as well as other families I know in the area. This is so scary, and it doesn't look good at all. I thought after the Cedar fire four years ago, there wouldn't be another one that bad. It sounds like they are expecting this one to be even worse.Here is an article about it, and I am sure you can find plenty more if you google it.They ahve already evacuated 250,000 people, and are sending 1,000 firetrucks from northern California to help. Can you believe the magnitude of this?

This situation really makes me think about how important it is to be prepared.I have been telling my mom that she has some advance notice in this situation, so she has time to pack a few important things, gather their important papers, pictures, pets, etc. She has time to go get gas in the cars, and money from the bank. She has time to get her 72 hour kits updated and ready to go. She has time to pack the cars and be ready in case the call comes for them to evacuate. The time won't last long though if they don't do anything while they can. Back in 2003 when they were in this situation, I thought long and hard about what really mattered to me if my parents home burned down. It is the only home I ever knew growing up, so all my childhood memories are there. Of course there are a lot of things that I will be sad about losing, but only a few things that I told my mom to be sure to get. Family pictures and scrapbooks, and my wedding dress. I still feel the same about those things, but since the last fires, I have also lost my little brother, so his things would be important to save as well. It is hard to be so far removed from the situation, because I wish I could help! I would get every suitcase and box I could find and load up the things I thought were important, and be sure my parents were ready and prepared. I can't do it for them, just like no one can do it for us. We have to be ready, and we are the only ones who can do that for ourselves.

Right now, my parents home is not in the direct path of the fires, but it is always possible that it could be. The last time the fire came pretty close, on more sides of their home than one. I believe they were even told it would be a good idea to evacuate, but they didn't. It probably came about 10 miles away at the closest. They are on the outskirts of El Cajon, closer to Jamul where the Harris fire is burning. But on the other side of them is Santee and Lakeside which is in the path of the Witch fire. I feel that they will probably be ok, but you never know and I have to prepare myself for the worst possibility.

Please pray for them and everyone else who is and will be affected by this scary situation.

4 comments:

Emily said...

So this is rather Random - I (David R) was a roommate of Aaron A at Ricks College back in 1998 or so. I was reading their family blog (http://theallredspace.blogspot.com) and noticed that one of their friends were Tony & Kerry Black. I thought to myself, "Surely this isn't the same Black family we knew in Olathe..." The pictures of your kids confirmed it! SO NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN!

- David Ridley
http://spaceofdaver.blogspot.com

Kerry said...

That is so funny! It's amazing how small the world becomes in blogland! It will be nice to see your family during the holidays!

Catherine said...

Please keep us updated about how your family is doing. I'll be thinking of you and them. I hope everything gets under control soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry, I am a stampinup girl from Florida. Just wanted to let you know my prayers are with you, your family and all the others in California. Blessings, Fawn