Saturday, October 20, 2007

Halloween Trunk or Treat and Chili Cook Off



Tonight was our ward's Halloween Trunk or Treat and Chili cook-off. I signed up to bring chili. I have never made anything for a cook-off before, so this was new for me. And, guess what? I won 3rd place!The above picture is my prize. I am so excited! Seriously, I didn't think I would be so proud of myself. It feels good.

So, I didn't make either of the recipes I was thinking about. I went with a recipe for Pumpkin Black Bean Chili. I tweaked it a bit, and was pretty pleased with the results. I may fiddle around with it in the future to make it even better. Here is the recipe.

Pumpkin Black Bean Chili

1 medium-large yellow onion, chopped
1 chopped yellow bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. oil
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. ground turkey, browned
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
4 cups (2 cans) chicken broth
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1-2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)

1. Saute onions, yellow pepper and garlic in oil for 8 minutes, or until soft.
2. Stir in oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add remaining ingredients.
4. Cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours, or high for 3 1/2-4 hours)

It was the missionaries who were judging, if that means anything. And there were 10 entries, so again I'm pretty pleased that I won 3rd place!



As for the kids and their costumes, Logan was a ghost and Avery was a little fairy.My friend Vicki had a ghost costume that her son wore when he was 3 that she let us borrow. My cousin sent a little skirt and wand for Avery, and I bought her some wings at Michael's. I made her flower headband this afternoon. I am glad I didn't have to spend too much on the kids Halloween costumes this year. Maybe one of these years I will get back in the Halloween spirit for myself, and get Tony and I some good costumes. I used to get into Halloween a lot more. I had fun.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Those costumes are so cute! You're better then me, Sam is wearing the same costume as last year--that almost fits. And Leah is wearing one of Sam's old costumes, Tigger. Good for you!!

Kayli said...

Awww--cute kids! Especially Avery is sooo adorable.
Great job on your chili win. Mine didn't place at the derby. :( Oh well, I didn't mind, since I could just be happy for Brett's car blowing the competition out of the water.

amiee said...

hey congrats on 3rd place! that is cool! that pumpkin and bean chili sounds very interesting. i remember when you threw a halloween party at you and tony's old house in utah county, and you went ALL OUT for that thing! i couldn't believe it! you did used to go all out for halloween! your party was fun! miss ya!

Maren said...

Good job on the chili! I will have to try the recipe some time. Love the costumes!