Thursday, August 23, 2007

New Challenge

So, my friend Vicki (I hope you don't mind my mentioning this!) decided she was going to challenge me to not say negative things about myself. I am not sure how well I will do at this challenge, but I thought I would attempt something similar.I think I am going to try to post 5 things I am grateful for each time I post. I have a gratitude journal, and have written in it on occasion, but this might be a better way for me to keep myself finding the good things about my day, rather than focusing on the negative things. So, in the end, if I am looking for the good in things around me, perhaps I will not be so hard on myself. We shall see.So, here goes for today.

1. Lemon-berry slushes from SONIC. YUMMY! These are my new found drink addiction, and a very refreshing beverage choice for the hot, humid summer days (and nights) here in Kansas.I could drink a HUGE one every day and still want more. I love them!

2. Girl's nights. I appreciate having opportunities to get out of the house and socialize with my friends, and make new ones in the process.Tonight was our Relief Society sewing group, and I learned how to make a baby diaper changing pad. It has been good for me to start learning how to sew and make things for my home and family.I really appreciate the patience and kindness of the other women who help me along in my desire to learn a new skill.

3. Clean kitchen counters. There is just something about having the kitchen counters cleaned off that really makes the rest of the house not seem so messy after all.

4. BYU radio on Dish network. I just discovered that I had this yesterday! Hello! I hve only had satellite for 3 years now! Anyway...it has been nice to have this playing in the background today while the rest of my day was whirling around in chaos. I am just imagining that the mood could have been much worse had it not been for that underlying spirit.

5. My children. I love them soooo much it makes my nose tickle!Just thinking about their cute little selves brings tears to my eyes. I know this sounds totally cheesy, but it's true. Logan has such a cute smile, especially with his little dimple. He is such a cute boy, and is growing up so fast. I am truly amazed at how precious he is to me. And little Avery. She is soo sweet! She just grins up a storm whenever she sees any of us! It makes all of us so happy to see her because she is so happy to see us. I love her happy little self. She has such pretty big blue eyes too, just like her brother. They are the sweetest children, and they are all mine, and I am so lucky to have them in my life. I will probably have them on my list every time!

3 comments:

amiee said...

I had to say that lemon berry slushes at Sonic is also one of my favorite drinks EVER! They are so good, huh?

Vicki said...

Kerry, I'm glad to see this. :) I really truly believe that the language we use about ourselves is important. You need to treat yourself well! You need to be a good example for your children so they can learn to treat themselves well. I think it takes time to change your frame of mind and your habits regarding your speech but I think it's a good goal.

NW Varneys said...

Oh, that is so neat that you are learning to sew! I wish our RS had a sewing group--I really want to learn. I have hinted around to a couple people, but no offers to teach me yet. ;) I am tempted to get a sewing machine and just figure it out for myself..or go down to the senior center and make a new friend/mentor there. :)