Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Up till 1:30 a.m.!




Nope, it wasn't because of the kids! I was up late working on this beauty! It is an altered altoid tin and mini accordian album to fit inside! Isn't it sooo pickin cute? I had to make this sample to take to my Relief Society enrichment planning meeting tonight to show as a possible project for our Super Saturday. This might be a bit more elaborate with all the embellishments, but I got a bit carried away. I can tone it down for a Super Saturday project if we decide to do it. Now I need to figure out what pictures to put in it. I kinda like it all by itself though. I just like to look at it over and over. I get so pleased with myself when I finish a project like this and see how cute it turned out. You can see more photos in my SCS gallery. I never would have imagined I could make something like this 5 years ago! I didn't even know how to make cards! Now look at how far I have come. I am even a Stampin' Up! demonstrator! It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just work at it. I don't ever like to hear people say they aren't crafty, because they can be if they try. Trust me...I know!

This brings me to another topic on craftiness. I grew up with a wonderful mom who could sew anything for us...from dance costumes, to Halloween costumes, to Christmas stockings, Easter baskets, Quiet books, church tote bags, blankets, etc. She tried so hard to teach me to sew, and she did help me make a dress, a skirt, and a few tied quilts for boys I was dating. I just couldn't ever catch the desire to really learn though. Fast forward to November 2006. Just 5 months ago, I all of a sudden had an intense desire to purchase a sewing machine and start making things. Baby things to be exact. Blankets and burp cloths to be exact. Those are pretty much straight lines. I also wanted to make a quiet book. A little more complex. I managed to make my first baby blanket and burp cloth for a gift for my friend Gigi who was due a week before me with a little girl.





While I know this was far from perfect, I was proud of myself for making it. It was such an accomplishment for me! I never did make one for my own baby, but I will.



So, the other day I get a package in the mail. Or rather Avery did. It was a baby gift from Gigi.

It is a darling rag quilt! Now I feel a bit embarrassed by my horendous sewing job, but nevertheless, I am inspired now to learn to make a rag quilt. I used to have the mind set that this was way too hard for me to do, but now I am thinking it can be done! Also, a while back I boxed up about a million old t-shirts from High School and college and other things that I coulodn't bear to throw away, but obviously don't wear anymore. I came up with the brilliant idea of turning them into a t-shirt quilt! Now how clever am I? Apparently not very, because someone else came up with the idea first. I just hadn't heard of one before. So, now that I am feeling like my domestic goddess has been unleashed, I want to make a t-shirt quilt as well. I found some info online with directions.

And, last but not least. My very next project I want to attempt is a baby sling. I had been looking at this website to possibly order one, but now feel inspired to make my own. We shall see!

Well, that's my crafting desire for the future anyhow. May the craftiness be with you!

6 comments:

Christy said...

I love Gigi's rag quilts! She made one for Eva and it is one of her favorite blankets (and mine!).

That altoid tin looks super, super cute! What a great job you did!

Catherine said...

Wow. That was definitely worth a night of lost sleep. So cute. I'm impressed. That will be a lot of fun for your super saturday.

Andrea said...

So cute! I want a lesson. Oh wait! You live in Kansas. :( I love the tin!

Jill said...

Very cute altoid tin! I am impressed with your sewing. Make a sling. They are super easy. I have made myself too many. They have to match the outfit, right?

Maren said...

I LOVE the tin! It is too cute. I think it's funny that you don't consider yourself creative - I always thought you are!

Anonymous said...

Kerry,
Bergen l-o-v-e-s her blanket and burp cloth! Okay, she loves the blanket; the burp cloth, maybe not so much. But I appreciate it.
I'm glad you like Avery's blanket.
~Gigi Ü