Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Things I Love

This might be an ongoing post, because I am sure I will be continually thinking of things to add.

Today was a rainy day. Lately I have been paranoid and frightened of stormy days because of the possibility of tornados. Today I actually enjoyed it. I used to love thunder storms and rainy days, so it was nice to feel that sense of enjoyment today. I did have some friends and their kids over today, so perhaps I enjoyed it more because of the company and the socialization. After having a house full of kids (8 of them) and friends for about 5 hours, the three of us had some peace and quiet. It was 3 p.m. by this point and I didn't want to bother with putting Logan down for a nap, so I just let him sit on the couch to watch tv. After I fed Avery, I layed her down on her playmat on the floor and I was doing some other things. I had given Logan a blanket, and a little while later, I looked over and he was sound asleep. Avery was just content on the floor, and pretty soon, I noticed she had fallen asleep. So, I sat here in my living room watching my two kids sleeping peacefully while the rain was falling outside. For some reason it was the most wonderful moment, and I wished I could have bottled it up! My heart was so full of joy and love and gratitude. It made me feel very content and happy. I love my children so much! They are so sweet.

After Tony got home, I went to get the mail. My mailbox is halfway up the street, so it isn't just a quick trip to the curb to the mailbox. It was raining lightly at this point, and I just felt such happiness and peace breathing in the fresh air, and feeling the raindrops as I walked. If I would have been dressed a bit better, I might have kept walking, it was so pleasant. When I got back to my driveway, I had a sudden urge to go splashing in the puddles. Of course, I felt a bit silly, seeing that I will be 30 in a week, so I just slipped my flipflop off and stuck my foot in the water. It was cold, but it felt good. It made me happy.

I was watching American Idol tonight, and listening to all the performances and realizing (I really already knew this) that music makes me happy. I love it! I listened to Carrie Underwood sing "I'll Stand By You", and Josh Groban sing "You Raise me Up" and I felt so happy! I love how music makes me feel. I can always change my mood by listening to music. If I could, I would have music playing all the time at full blast, and sing along at the top of my lungs, because that makes me happy. I don't know if it would make anyone else happy though, so I will have to refrain from that. But I really love music.

I also love dance. I love dancing myself, and I love to watch people dancing. I love watching "Dancing with the Stars" for a few different reasons. I love watching the professional dancers and how good they are. I know how much hard work goes into perfecting something like that, so I appreciate what they do. It makes me miss dancing soooo much. I loved performing, and rehearsing. I loved just dancing for the stress relief it was for me. It was such an escape, and I believe that helped me to deal with stress so well in High School and college. It was my outlet and my escape. Not to mention that it kept me in shape! And it was how I met my husband, so of course it is meaningful to me! I also love watching the people who are on the show who have never danced before and have to dedicate themselves to learning something so foreign to them. It is awesome to see them grow to appreciate it, and to become good at something they had never done before. It just reaffirms that anyone can accomplish something if they put their mind to it, and work at it. I know there are people out there who believe that they aren't "dancers" or they aren't this, or that, but you can do anything you put your mind to and work at. You just have to give it a try, and believe in yourself. You may not become perfect, but anyone can develop skills and talents. You will never know if you can or can't do something if you don't try. Plus I love watching people grow to love dance, like I do. I really wish I could find an adult dance class to take. That has been my lifelong passion, and I don't feel 100% like myself because I don't do it anymore. It has been 6 years since I have taken a dance class, or performed. I had been dancing since I was 3,basically non-stop and it has been hard to re-define myself without that in my "description".

That's all for tonight. I love sleep, and don't get enough of it, so I better go attempt to get some! Feel free to comment on some things that you love. Or better yet...start your own blog post about the things you love.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Reading your post made me happy. I love those pockets of joy. Have you looked into dance companies or classes in Kansas? Maybe that the university?

Maren said...

Funny... I seem to love my kids the most when they're asleep, too. :) Seriously, though, there is something quite satisfying about being in your nice, dry home with your two kiddos and feeling just totally safe and happy. I know exactly how you felt!

Robyn said...

Thanks Kerry! I love this post from you. It really has made me think. I feel happy just reading about your happiness. I'm going to go and post about what makes me happy on my blog now. Thanks for the encouragement.
Robyn