I have been thinking a lot lately about friends. Since I have recently moved, I have had to get acquainted with new people, and try to establish good relationships. I haven't felt like it has been too difficult. The girls in my ward at church have all been really friendly and nice. I have felt welcome, which is nice. There is always the period of adjustment, where you get a bit more settled and comfortable and then you can really get a feel for who everyone is, and what they are like. I like to observe people, and after a while I feel like I understand their personalities. It is at this point that you tend to decide who you mesh the best with, and then establish your close circle of friends. I am not implying being cliquey (is that how it is spelled?), but I am sure you all know what I mean. There are certain people that everyone feels more of a bond with, more comfortable with,have more in common with, etc. In each new place that I go, I often wonder who will become my close circle of friends.
Maybe I am too much like Anne (Anne of Green Gables) when I think about finding a kindred spirit. I know that I have wonderful friends, and enjoy doing things with them, but have I ever really found a kindred spirit? I want to find a friend who I enjoy being with, talking to, and doing things with. I would love to find a friend who enjoys doing the same things I do, so I have someone to do them with. I can think of friends in the past places I have lived that fit the bill pretty darn close. I miss those friends, but am glad that I can keep in touch with them. There are friends I have had that I have lost touch with, and that makes me sad. Friends are very important to me.
I have a friend I would have to say is my closest friend. We have known each other since we were about 1 year old.We have been through a lot together, and have been around for each other for a lot of momentous occasions. I love her dearly, and am so glad we have stayed friends for this long. I don't know what I would do if we ever lost touch. I can't see it happening ever, and I am glad about that. We can talk to each other about anything and everything,and be completely honest with each other. When we talk, it's almost as if no time has passed since we have talked last. I love that I can be totally myself with her, and know that she won't judge me, or change her opinion of me if I am behaving poorly. We can cry on each other's shoulder and rejoice together in our successes. The bad thing is we don't live near each other! I get to see her maybe once a year if I am lucky. I wish we could be closer. The funny thing is how different we are. Honestly, I don't really know what we have in common besides our memories. She was always the outgoing, bubbly one when we were growing up, and I was the shy, self-conscious one. She would talk to boys for me because I was too scared. I was the dancer, she was the pianist. We both enjoyed singing, and had quite a run of performing together for all kinds of events in High School. She sang soprano, and I sang alto. It's funny that I sing soprano now. She is 5'2" and I am 5'6". She went to Ricks (now known as BYU-Idaho) then the Universtiy of Utah, while I went to Brigham Young University. We actually did both end up getting similar degrees. We dated the same people even on a few occassions. And she ended up marrying one of them!
I am not sure why I am writing about this. I have just been thinking a lot about my friends (most of who don't live near me) and wondering how my friendships will develop in my new area. I wish I could take all my closest friends from over the years, and put them all together in the same place as me, and I would be sooo happy! I hope that I have been as good of a friend to them as they have been to me.
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Friends
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh, I totally can relate. Wouldn't it be so nice to gather all our closest friends and all live together. Too bad we cannot do that. I'm still looking for that kindred friend to meet here. I know it will come, I just have to give it time. At least I finally feel like I'm fitting in and not an outcast. That's a great start.
Good friends are what life is all about. You're so lucky to still be in touch with someone from so long ago.
Post a Comment