This post is a bit more serious than most. Just to let you know what you are in for before proceeding.
I read the other day in my Woman's Day magazine an article titled Motherhood in 2007. This got me thinking a lot about being a mother, and the views of society about the role of women...especially mothers, and even more about stay at home moms. I have had this on my mind a lot over the past 3 years, and I know I have friends who have also been struggling to find their worth as a stay at home mom. I know many mothers lose their identity and sense of self when they embark down the road of wife and mother. There are a lot of roles to fill, and it is easy to lose track of who you were before becoming a wife and mother.When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, the only easy answer for me was to be a mom. I never had any passion, or interest or desire to have a profession or career. In college I changed my major 5 times before settling on a course of study that would help me in that path. I worked full-time before having children and pretty much hated it. It was a way to bring home a pay-check, but I never had a sense of satisfaction with what I was doing. I knew that working full-time in the "corporate" world was not for me. It wasn't who I was.The reality of what being a stay at home mom entailed of course hit shortly after I quit work to stay home with my son. While I was relieved to be out of the brown-nosing politics of retail management, I soon fell into the monotony of my days as a mom, and began to miss the intellectual and social stimulation I got when I was working. I had to find other avenues to make myself feel valued and important. I know that being a mother is the most important job there is, and that you are the most important person to your children, but it is hard to see that sometimes. I have spent every day since then trying to find a way to balance myself and create a new definition of who I am, and feeling pleased and happy with that definition.
I have discovered stamping, card making, scrapbooking ( a little bit) and paper crafts as a way to feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. I became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator when my son was 9 months old as a way to have a new hobby and creative outlet. I have also enjoyed making new recipes, and recently began trying to learn to sew. There are so many rewards to being a mother and having the sweet little spirits in my home, that I wouldn't trade it for the world! After they are in bed at night, I find myself thinking about them, and their cute smiles, funny things they said or did, and just remembering their hugs and kisses. Even on days when I feel like I am not happy with who I am, and I just want to quit. I could never actually quit. I love them too much! It has just been hard for me to embrace motherhood whole heartedly while maintaining my old self. I still have to redefine myself and find comfort and peace with that new definition. It is an ongoing search, but I hope that one day I will find it and be happy with it. The search is on....
Thursday, May 03, 2007
Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I can relate. I'm not really sure where my definition is yet. I think that we are continually seaching and redefining who we are. Too bad it cannot be easier, but then we wouldn't grow so much.
Kerry,
I appreciated your post. I actually do have a passion--to teach and I loved teaching. When we left UT to move out to Indiana the Vice Principal told me "Don't leave the profession. You are too good and the kids need you." Whew! I appreciated the compliment, but after a lot of prayers and thinking I knew that my own kids will need me more! It's not easy being a mom and there are hard days, but like you said, it is so rewarding and someday when the kids are grown you won't have any regrets because you gave of yourself wholeheartedly to them!
I enjoyed reading this Kerry. This week I have been thinking a lot about these kinds of things and I think that you stated very eloquently the way I have been feeling. Being mom is hard work but it is very rewarding and there is no place I would rather be right now! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment