I better write about my enrichment night last week. I haven't had a chance to do much since then, because we were in Utah for the week-end. I am home now, and trying to cross things off my list of things to do.
( By the time I got to the refreshment table, there wasn't as many cupcakes left, but you get the idea.)
I have to say that the evening was FANTASTIC! I am so proud of all the women who worked so hard and put in the time to practice for this program. We had a few rough spots along the way, and some frustrations too, but in the end it was perfect. The music was beautiful, the words were touching, and I know the spirit was there so strong. A friend of mine was so worried about her performance because she says she always botches it when she performs. The night of the program, she nailed it. It was perfect!I was so proud of her! All the songs were perfect, especially the choir numbers we were so worried about. It was the best they had ever been that night.
While I didn't have any major parts in the program, I did have a few chances to step in for people when needed. At our rehearsal the night before, I got to fill in for a girl who had to get home early. She was singing the song called "Hold On" with another girl, and I filled in for her so the other girl could get her practice, and so we could continue on with the timing of the program. It was really scary, but fun! I haven't had a solo like that for a long time! I also filled in for the first part of the program on the actual performance night for one of the narrators who had a last minute doctor appointment and was running late. And, I guess I also had my choir directing debut when the choir director had to be out of town for a funeral the week-end of a big practice. Boy that was an experience, and I really really appreciate choir directors now. What a tough job! Anyway...I did sing with the choir,so I sat up on the stand with everyone during the program. It was so neat to look out at the faces of everyone there, and not recognize a lot of them! We extended the invitation for this evening to the Young Women, Activity Day girls, and any other friends, neighbors and family. We had a great turnout!
( I know this picture is dark, but it really shows how great of a turnout we had!)
After the program, we moved into the cultural hall for refreshments of cupcakes, ice cream and punch. I made a really yummy recipe for Cookies and Cream cupcakes. Too bad I didn't get any! I will have to make them again another time. We had enough tables and chairs set up for 50 people, and had more than that, so people were sitting on the ground along the wall, standing in groups, or had extra chairs in circles to chat. It was so much fun to see everyone really visiting and enjoying themselves. I think the punch got refilled about 4 times, and we ended up with close to 2 dozen cupcakes left at the end of the night. The ice cream didn't last long however!
I was so truly appreciative of the women who participated in the program, from singing solos, to playing the piano, organ or cello, to narrating, or just being a choir member. It couldn't have happened without each and every one of them, and I am really so grateful! I will always be. I usually try to write thank you notes to everyone who helps with enrichment nights, but I felt like these women needed something more than just a note. I decided to be "crafty" and make them a nice gift that they can keep and hopefully remember the experience by. I made some vinyl lettered blocks. I couldn't think of a quote from the program that I liked enough, but I came across this other saying, and I really liked it. I made 24 of these blocks, and I also had yellow sunflowers and red gerber daisies as well as these pink and orange flowers. If I were to make something like this again, I have ideas of how to make them a bit better, but otherwise, I think they turned out really cute.
Overall, it was a great evening, but I am glad it is over! Now it's on to planning the next activity!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Enrichment night success!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I love those blocks you made! They are so cute. Thanks for blogging about this. I was wondering how the activity turned out.
Good job, Kerry! And I love the blogs - they're totally cute. I wish I had been there to help. :)
Check You OUT!!!! It looked GREAT! Only a person who has run ALL the little details behind the scenes at an activity would know how many times they filled the punch bowl!! ha ha ha you made all the cupcakes and vinyl blocks and practices...whew I am tired! Good job!
Awesome job Kerry! Everything looks great! All that stress REALLY paid off!
love,
Heidi
Good Job! I love those blocks. They turned out so cute. When you explained them to me it did not do them justice. But I am really impressed. I love the cupcake bar, good idea!
hey kerry! that is incredible that kristy could down that whole thing! i could barely handle a quarter of it. and i've heard about that cocoa bean place and i've been wanting to go for a while..just haven't gotten around to it! we'll have to go this weekend!
Post a Comment