Monday, November 05, 2007

Mommy..I will catch you with my net!

So, today was the best, most wonderful day ever! Ha! Let me explain.

Last night was a pretty horrible night for the kids. I don't know if it was the time change or what, but they would not stay asleep, and kept waking up. In fact, I ended up in Logan's bed for the second night in a row because he has decided he enjoys laying by daddy and wants mommy to leave. Gladly. At 1 a.m. I don't want to fight, I just want to sleep. So off to Logan's bed I go. So, around 5:30 (of course...it is always right after Tony leaves for seminary) Logan wakes up distraught that he is alone in mommy and daddy's bed. I manage to calm him down and bring him back in his bed with me where we both go back to sleep. I then wake up around 6:45 because Avery is awake and hungry, so I feed her and put her back to bed right before Tony gets back home. Then Logan wakes up again all grumpy and sad because he is again all alone, and daddy can't calm him down. He says, "But Mommy is my best friend, not you." Please tell me what changes in the night when last night he wanted daddy and wanted mmommy to go away, and in the morning, mommy is his best friend and not daddy. Good grief! I manage to convince Logan to let daddy take him downstairs to eat breakfast, so I can lay back down for a few more minutes. Then Avery wakes up again (or was never really asleep) about 7:15, so I take her down and beg Tony to feed her breakfast and then I will get up. I get up after Tony tells me good-bye, and I hear Logan open the door to the garage and go running down the driveway yelling for his daddy to come back. I have to go get him and bring him back inside before the neighbors wonder what's going on.

I spend the next hour or so online, eating breakfast, and then it is time for Avery's morning nap. I put her down around 9-ish, and head for the couch to doze while Logan watches t.v. I am shamefully admitting my laziness for all the world to see. Nice. Anyway...Tony calls about 9:30 to tell me that he has called the repair men for our furnace( it has been broken) and they were coming sometime after 12 and would call 30 minutes before. Ok. Back to the couch I go. Not 10 minutes later, the phone rings and they are on their way. I scramble to get dressed, and try to get things picked up before they arrive. They got here around 9:45. That was NOT 20 minutes, like they said on the phone. So, the guy was here for 2 hours and got the furnace fixed. Hooray! Anyway...I get both kids fed lunch, and it is time for Avery's nap again, so I get her down around 1-ish. About 1:45 Logan falls asleep on the couch, so I take my chance to also catch up on some lost z's. I had a nice nap until Avery woke up. I forgot to mention that before this I managed to make a nice batch of Caramel Apple Pie Cookies Quite tasty!

So, it is around 3 at this point, and I felt a bit chilly, so I thought I would test out the new working furnace. Well, it didn't work. I called the repair guys and they came back to fix it. As soon as I let the guy back in and he had headed down to the basement, I found Avery (she was behind the couch)and took her upstairs to change her diaper. And then it happened. The thing that I have been dreading and waiting to happen ever since I moved into my house a year ago. A tornado came and blew my house away!


Ha ha! Totally kidding. I do fear that too, though. Anyway, I was coming back down the stairs and fell. I fell down the stairs with Avery. My feet totally slipped out from under me, and after landing extremely hard on my back side, then slid/bounced all the way down the rest of the stairs (about 10) to a nice painful pile at the bottom. I was seriously stunned, Avery was screaming her head off, and Logan came running around the corner to find me laying on the floor, with a terrified look on my face I am sure. Logan says " Mommy, are you o.k? Did you jump down the stairs?" I didn't want to make a big deal with the furnace guy there, so I managed to suck it up and calm Avery down while calling Tony on the phone and tearfully choking out what happened and that he needed to come home right away. Afterwards, I almost passed out and was horrified to think of the furnace guy coming back upstairs to find me passed out on the floor. I had to lay down by Avery for a while on the floor just in case I did pass out, then I would already be there. Well, the furnace guy finished and before he left asked if everything was ok since he heard a big thud and lots of crying (from Avery). She was fine by this point, and I was being super brave and said we were fine. Tony got home shortly after to find me in tears finally. I let it all out after the guy left. Logan was so cute and so concerned. He would put his face right up as close as he could to mine and tell me he would make me better, and then give me a kiss.

He also told me "Mommy, next time you fall down the stairs I will catch you with my net." What a sweet, thoughtful boy!

So, after taking some ibuprofen, I decided the pain was too intense and I should go to urgent care. Thankfully my friends were able to watch the kids and off we went. Please tell me how considerate it is for someone with a potentially broken tailbone to be left to "sit" in the waiting room for over an hour, and then sit again once in the exam room, and then again waiting for the x-ray, and then again to hear what the verdict was. Nice...No offer of anything to ease the pain on that one. The good thing was sitting for that long kind of numbed things a bit I think. So, after 2 1/2 hours at urgent care, the verdict is nothing is broken. Go home and take ibuprofen (or a handy prescription for Lortab, which I may already have left from my c-section.) Well, at least nothing is broken! But it still hurts like the dickens.

So, there you have it. The best day ever. I really hope it gets better tomorrow!At least I can go to sleep knowing that Logan and his net will come to my rescue next time!(I really hope there is NOT a next time!)

BTW...Avery did bonk her head on the railing when I first fell, but I never saw a red mark, and I think the majority of her crying was due to being scared out of her little mind. She seems fine now. Thank goodness! I would much rather it be me than her!

10 comments:

Christy said...

Dude, I feel your pain! It has been almost a year since I broke my butt and it STILL gives me problems. Even though there is nothing broken, the pain is the same and there is virtually nothing you can do about it except suck it up and hope for some sympathy (and a lot of ibuprofen!). You've got a LOT of sympathy coming from me! If you have a donut seat, that might help. It did for me, for a while.

Kerry said...

Thanks Christy! I remembered you had the same "issue" so I am glad to know I am not suffering alone! It really is the pits! And just when I had made a resolution to start doing pilates every day.

Kayli said...

Kerry--that's awful! So sorry! But--at least you told the story with pizzazz!
My advice is much the same as for any other catastophe--eat lots of icecream!

Mary said...

It's nice to know other people also have "special" days in motherhood. Pamper yourself and good luck in your quest for sleep!

Mary said...

PS. I love your recipe site! Jason's sister is allergic to nutmeg, it's in pumpkin pie spice, could that be the rash culprit? She gets rash/hives.

heidi and tom said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that...not because I enjoyed knowing that you had a crappy day, but because it's nice to hear about a real life story in the day of a MOM!!! Take care of your...ummm..bum...okay? Oh, and by the way...LOVE your recipe blog...and another by the way...how come you don't have a link to my blog in your "friends since we were two years old" category?!! Ha-ha. Love ya,

Heidi

Kerry said...

Heidi, I was debating about what category to put you in. I thought of California friends, but you are the only one, really. Unless I come across other blogs. And Marisa too...she could fit in California, BYU, AND Indiana.I need to get on it. Maybe I will just call it CG friends and we can bribe Gina to start a blog too.

Maren said...

Poor Kerry! What an awful day! And I thought that a day with a super-grouchy broken three year old and teething one year old was rough. You win! (I really hope tonight and tomorrow are better for you!)

Kerry said...

Maren, I don't know about that! I would much rather it be me than my kids...in more ways than one! I can handle my own whininess...but the patience can run a little thin with a whining 3 year old! Poor Spencer! I feel for you too!

Andrea said...

OH, Kerry! That sounds awful. Hope you can have a good soak in the tub. I've been sitting on a folded towel for my tub soak. Maybe that will work for you!