I have been meaning to write this post since late last night, but I haven't been able to think of anything meaningful enough to say, that others on other blogs haven't said better. But, nevertheless I really need to write about this most recent news.
President Gordon B. Hinckley, president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints passed away last night at the ripe old age of 97. What a great man. That's the only thing that keeps going through my mind. He was truly an amazing and incredible man who did so much for the growth of the church, and touched so many people both in the church and out. He became the President of the church in 1995...my senior year of High School. He has been the prophet that I have known the most in my life, and I have really come to love and respect him for his wonderful spirit and character. What an example to all of us of the kind of person we should be.
I heard a story about him once that made me laugh. He exercised and lifted weights all the way into his old age. His family was in the other room one day while he was exercising, and they heard him say " This is terrible" Ha ha! That made me laugh! He was always full of humor.
While I am sure of the amazing reunion he is having in Heaven right now with his dear sweet wife, and many others who have gone on before him, he will be sadly missed here on earth.
On to a different note. Today Logan brought me his Book of Mormon so I could help him find the picture of Jesus in it. After I helped him find it, we talked about it for a bit, as well as the other pictures. He was so excited about his scriptures, and decided he wanted to teach the lesson for Family Home evening tonight. After dinner, we all gathered in the living room, and Logan asked me to put the primary songs cd in the cd player, so we could sing "I am a Child of God". He sat down on his little couch and said "start the music please". Yes sir! After we sang our song, he asked Avery to say the opening prayer. Daddy helped her, while she yelled and played with Mr. Potato Head's nose. We better teach her how to be more reverent!Once the prayer was over, Logan opened his scriptures to find the picture of Jesus. he turned the book so we could see it and pointed to the picture and said "This is Jesus." Then he closed the book. I guess that was his lesson! Daddy and I asked him a few questions about Jesus, like who is Jesus? (our brother) And where is Jesus?(in Heaven) And who is Jesus's father? (Heavenly Father) etc. All simple 3 year old answers of course. We then sang "I am Child of God" for the closing song again, and Logan asked daddy to say the prayer. After FHE was over, Logan still wanted to read his scriptures,so when it was bedtime, I read him the picture version of the Book of Mormon. He hasn't been too interested in this before now, but is acting really interested now all of a sudden. I think Primary is rubbing off on him in a very positive way! I love the sweet spirits that little children have. I watch Logan and how he is growing each day, and I am so amazed! He is so smart, and so sweet, and so funny. What a little personality! I definitely know he came to this earth with his little spirit and personality already there. I feel so overwhelmingly blessed to have him in our family. What a great responsibility I have as his mother to teach him soooo much! It does make me a little fearful about my abilities. Will I do enough? Could I do more?All I can do is my best.
Monday, January 28, 2008
President Hinckley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
How sweet!! His FHE lesson is really what it is all about! Sweet and simple. Thanks for sharing with us. Don;t you love those animated scripture books. AND YES to the great responsibility we have--
Can Logan come to our house to give us our FHE lesson? That lesson got right to the point...I admire that in a speaker.
Post a Comment