Monday, December 07, 2009

Hello there!

Wow! Did I forget I had a blog, or what? What a slacker I have been! I knew it had been a while, but I didn't realize it had been over 2 months! I have many pictures still on my camera that I need to get on my computer, and then I can hopefully post something interesting.

In the meantime, let me share with you a very simple, easy recipe that has saved mealtime on many occasions. If you need a simple, no brainer meal that your family will love,this is it.

The history of this meal is fun. we were invited over to dinner at our friends The Kimbers before we moved from Indiana. They fed us this meal. They called it "Japanese Haystacks" because the husband served his mission in Japan, and this was something he and his companions made. It isn't Japanese at all, which is funny. We have renamed it "Kimber Haystacks". Are you ready for it? Super easy. Tasty. But not gourmet or fancy in any way shape or form.

Kimber Haystacks

Layer the following ingredients in individual bowls or plates:

Rice
Taco meat
cheese
lettuce
diced tomatoes
sliced olives
salsa, if desired
crushed up Doritos (has to be Doritos, not plain tortilla chips)
ranch dressing (you must use ranch...it is what makes it, I promise)

Mix up and eat.

Sorry, I have no pictures. I am sure you can picture it yourself. Now go try it. I promise you will like it!

More, family oriented posts coming soon!

6 comments:

amiee said...

oh so funny! i've had this before, it is yummy! i just didn't know it had an official name :)

Maren said...

We eat these all the time! I grew up eating them - we called them Taco Sundaes. (With the dressing being the 'chocolate syrup' and the crushed chips being the 'nuts'.)

Kerry said...

Ok, so I know this is similar to regular mexican haystacks. We usually do regular tortilla chips, chili, and then the toppings, including salsa and sour cream. I just liked this version cause it had rice, and the Doritos and ranch. We just named it after our friends the Kimbers since we ate it at their house. So Maren, did you use Doritos and ranch too growing up? With rice? Interesting.

Heather S. said...

Sounds yummy. What type doritos? Cheese?

Kerry said...

Yes Heather, just the regular nacho cheese.

NW Varneys said...

Aw, I was excited for a no-brainer dinner, but this is really similar to one we already do (but love!).
Fiesta Stack-ups--exactly as your Kimber Stackups but with chili instead of taco meat, and with the rice, doritos, and other toppings, add onions, pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut, salsa, and sour cream. So kind of a mesh of your mexican haystacks and kimber haystacks, plus a few exotic toppings. :) Sounds like a weird combination, but it is really yummy! I especially like the coconut and pecans in the mix.