Saturday, September 22, 2007

Am I a bad mother?

So, I am starting to feel like I made a really big mistake. It seems like every other person that I know with a child the same age as Logan has them enrolled in pre-school this year, and I don't. I didn't think about it enough when it was time to enroll them, and I didn't think I was ready for that yet either. I wasn't sure if he would be ready either, but now that it is too late, I am really feeling like I need to get Logan involved with something. He needs it. He isn't a baby anymore, and I can tell he is needing "more" right now. I am worrying about how he will be come January when it is time to go to sunbeams at church. I taught sunbeams last summer. They were horrible.I do not want my son to be one of the horrible ones.Anyway, I just had to get this off my chest. I think it is too late to get him signed up for anything at this point, because I think they all go for the whole year, and not semesters. Perhaps I just need to make an effort to get out in the community and take him to story time at the library, or other fun things like that.I will think of something.

***** I need to add a clarification. Not ALL of the sunbeams I taught were horrible. In fact, most of them were pleasant normal 3 year olds. There were 2 horrible ones, and that seemed to make the rest of my memories of that class horrible. And I mainly say it out of amazement that 2 little 3 year olds could cause such grief. It is actually almost funny.

9 comments:

Heather S. said...

I would call around to all the preschools, sometimes they'll take just one more child. It's worth a shot.

Ginger said...

You could also just do some kind of fun craft at home with him each day....like maybe durning your daughters nap. I bet you could get a book at the library that would tell you how.

Or you would have a letter of the week and make it a point to do things that begin with that letter each day.

Even though I think preschool rocks, I don't think it's a huge deal to get him into it.

Kerry said...

I have wanted to focus on teaching him his letters. That's a good idea to do things that start with the letter we are learning.Thanks for the idea!

NW Varneys said...

Maybe you could switch off with other moms who don't have their kids in preschool and do a "joy school" type thing. Or find a Mother's Day Out at a local church that's just once or twice a week. Or like you said, just bring him the library storytime and other community things and have a little structured craft/learning time at home. You are a good mom, no matter what!!

Vicki said...

Story time is great! We will be trying to go to Blue Valley library storytime for J this fall, not every week but some weeks. You should check it out. I had my older son do some activities (art, baking) at the community recreation center when he was 3 and he really liked it. Most of them required parent participation and I don't know how you'd do it with your baby, but he did a couple of classes where I didn't have to go in with him.

Catherine said...

Get on a waiting list! I didn't realize that preschool signups were last April so I got on a couple of waiting lists last month and Bruce is starting preschool next week.

How old is Logan though? I started Bruce in preschool when he was about 3 1/2 and it really helped him get over his shyness, but he was burned out after a couple of sessions and we ended up taking a break until next week - he's almost 5.

One more thing...I hear you on the Sunbeams. Merrill subbed one day for them in Indiana and swore he would never have children.

amiee said...

Hey, I can't comment on the preschool thing (no kids yet), but I am excited to try your recipes. I think they both sound good. I cut and pasted them into a drive on my laptop. I'll let ya know.

Ginger said...

Hee Hee! I swear that the Sunbeams are much better here in Lafayette now!

The Lassen Family said...

My sister in law in OP is doing a joy school thing for her boys (3 and 4 1/2 with another 3 year old girl from the Stanley ward--she asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to do it...........I will talk to you more about it. Have fun in Branson